1. Shortage of medically qualified Academic staff – severe… CRISIS.
2. Increasing students, diverse distance rural/remote locations
3. Lengthy medical course – 6 years for basic study followed by 1-2 years of clinical training. Then 3-5 years of specialist registrar training.
4. Post graduate training is in crisis – Specialist colleges (Royal Colleges) remote from trainee (one college per subject for the whole nation…!) – lack capacity to monitor training. Trainee rotates through different placements under busy specialists no structured educational support of medical school.
5. Shortage of training places as training is restricted by training places. (3 specialists / trainee place) Royal college rules.
THERE IS URGENT NEED FOR DISCUSSION ON THIS “CRISIS” BY POLICY MAKERS & STAKEHOLDERS.